Monday, November 16, 2009

60 Mins Interview

click the picture to go to the video .. cannot embedded the video :(

Reporter: Charles Wooley
Producer: Sandra Cleary

"From ghosties and goblins and things that go bump in the night, oh Lord protect us!" So goes the old prayer.

But who's going to protect us from the latest worldwide outbreak of Vampires? They're everywhere!

Most inescapably, in the "Twilight" movies, based on Stephanie Meyer's phenomenally successful novels.

At last count, she's sold 85 million copies worldwide. The latest movie, "New Moon", is expected to be a blockbuster catapulting its young English star, Robert Pattinson, to a level of fame as unbelievable as the plot is far-fetched.

And, as Charles Wooley found this week, no one is more surprised and bemused than the young vampire himself.


Full Transcript of the Interview:
STORY:

CHARLES WOOLEY: All around the world this week, the big fuss is about a new star, 23-year-old British actor Robert Pattinson. And even if you are not abreast of popular culture, this young man is unavoidable.

ROBERT PATTINSON ON RED CARPET: It's completely surreal.

CHARLES WOOLEY: Of course you're everywhere now, I mean, 'Vanity Fair' this week, you're on the cover, your face is on billboards all over the place?

ROBERT PATTINSON: No, it's a strange thing.

CHARLES WOOLEY: A strange thing?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Yeah, 'cause I never really set out to be an actor and I've achieved a lot very, very quickly. Everyone's always afraid of peaking, well, theoretically, peaking when you're young, even though it's a terrible way to think about stuff. It's a worry.

CHARLES WOOLEY: Worrisome indeed. For Robert's extraordinary fame is built on one of movie history's most gruesome and bloody roles... ..the vampire. Albeit young, handsome, brooding and troubled, a vampire nonetheless.

ROBERT PATTINSON: I'm designed to kill.

CHARLES WOOLEY: Robert, the vampire movie genre, was this something that you were attracted to?

ROBERT PATTINSON: I had no particular interest in doing a vampire movie and I'd never done an American job before, so I went out to L.A. and did a bunch of auditions and 'Twilight' was just randomly one of those auditions and it went well. And I think they were desperate to cast it, as well, because they'd gone through casting for like 1.5 years or something.

CHARLES WOOLEY: You had been, at one stage, a teenage model?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Vaguely, yeah.

CHARLES WOOLEY: So you were trying to trade on your good looks?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Kind of. My mum used to be a booker when she was younger and I was doing a paper round at the time, when I was about 12, and she said, "You should go to an agency," and then I went to the agency and there was a bunch of pretty girls and I thought that seemed better than waking up at 4am every single day.

CHARLES WOOLEY: You will remember that an older generation of vampires was compelled to retire before dawn, to their coffins deep in the darkest crypts and the gloomiest dungeons. TWO MOVIE DRACULAS SPEAK: I am Dracula. Welcome to my home.

CHARLES WOOLEY: But like the stars they are, these new young vampires glitter in sunlight. These vampires go out during the day and live the lives of ordinary kids, play games, eat in the school canteen?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Well they pretend to eat and no, it's definitely different and it gives you leeway to take the vampire element more seriously and say, "Yeah, being a vampire is just an affliction." They're not born vampires, it's not a fantastical thing, you just get bitten by another guy and then you're a vampire.

CHARLES WOOLEY: You could see this as a metaphor for something else, getting serious here.

ROBERT PATTINSON: I've always never thought about playing it as a vampire, because for one thing they are fictional creations. I mean, right at the beginning of 'Twilight' I remember everyone's saying, 'A vampire wouldn't do that,' it's just like, how do you know?

CHARLES WOOLEY: 'New Moon' is the latest in a time-honoured genre. More than 1,200 films have been made on the theme, beginning in 1922 with 'Nosferatu'... ..and continuing the blood line with Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' in 1931. Even Tom Cruise has had a bite at it, turning Brad Pitt into a member of the dark fellowship. But the difference this time around, is the 'Twilight' saga has a love story at its heart. Co-star 19-year-old Kristen Stewart, as Bella, falls for Robert Pattinson's Edward, and so experiences the most fatal of attractions. To me, your role embodied every father's fear of your teenage daughter bringing home a terribly inappropriate boyfriend.

KRISTEN STEWART: Right, yeah. I'm sure every father is looking at this going no, no, no. But the fact that she still follows it, like, goes after something that everybody's telling her is wrong, says something about the relationship they have.

CHARLES WOOLEY: So again, as a dad I'm thinking, "No! The other guy, go for the other guy!" Then he turns out to be a werewolf.

KRISTEN STEWART: Yeah, yeah, Bella gets herself into some pretty strange situations, I don't really know what the deal is.

JACOB IN 'NEW MOON': Here, let me help you.

EDWARD IN 'NEW MOON': Jacob. I'll take it from here.

CHARLES WOOLEY: Strange indeed. A love triangle where the girl is courted by a vampire and a werewolf. Modern film technology makes this fantastical world solid and real, conjured into frightening life by computer generated wizardry. And turning 17-year-old Taylor Lautner into Jacob, the smitten werewolf. It's a great life?

TAYLOR LAUTNER: It is, yeah, it's a lot of fun. I mean, I'm having the time of my life right now.

CHARLES WOOLEY: And you get to be a werewolf?

TAYLOR LAUTNER: And you get to be a werewolf, that's another plus.

CHARLES WOOLEY: I thought the vampire was wrong for the girl, I kept saying, "Go for this guy," and you turn out to be a werewolf, what do we fathers everywhere learn from that?

TAYLOR LAUTNER: Honestly, both of these guys are a good choice for Bella, they both love Bella, they both are loyal to her. They protect her. But at the same time, they're complete opposites.

JACOB IN 'NEW MOON': Bella, I would never, ever, do that.

CHARLES WOOLEY: But the truth is, neither boy gets his way with the girl in this latest instalment. Longings remain unsatisfied and desires unrequited. It was also repressed sexuality, wasn't it?

KRISTEN STEWART: Absolutely. But it's not about denying yourself. If she was denying herself, she would just leave, or when he left, she would just get over it. It's not restrained.

CHARLES WOOLEY: It's the opposite of my own teenage years. In this case, the girl wants to do it but the boy is holding back, is that right?

KRISTEN STEWART: Yeah, but not because he doesn't want to. It's like, yes, on the surface he's holding back but I mean, he doesn't want to kill her, you know.

ROBERT PATTINSON: Yeah, I think that's one of the major appeals in 'Twilight' anyway, I mean, I remember when the fourth book came out when Edward and Bella consummate their relationship, people went crazy and no-one wanted that to happen between them and they especially didn't want to witness it.

CHARLES WOOLEY: Well, it's the opposite, isn't it, rather like Jane Austen, when you're studying it at school, it takes ages for them to consummate their relationship?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I always found Jane Austen pretty boring. I like it immediate. I'm very much a product of the 20th century.

PROFESSOR DUMBLEDORE IN 'HARRY POTTER' Hogwarts' champion - Cedric Diggory.

CHARLES WOOLEY: For young Robert Pattinson, this is not his first excursion into the fantastic. 'Harry Potter' fans will remember him in a smaller part, as the head boy at Hogwarts School of Wizardry, Cedric Diggory.

CEDRIC DIGGORY IN 'HARRY POTTER': Look, I realised I never thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons.

HARRY POTTER IN 'HARRY POTTER': Forget about it.

ROBERT PATTINSON: It was funny, after 'Harry Potter' I had a little bit of heat and then I just didn't take advantage of it at all.

CHARLES WOOLEY: You're nicely diffident, though. It's an English thing, isn't it?

ROBERT PATTINSON: It's scary when things have happened so quickly, you don't want...people are very judgemental about it. Fame is held in very high regard, especially in America, and I guess, yeah, you are very reticent to accept it because people think you're not worthy of it a lot of the time.

BELLA IN 'NEW MOON': Ow! paper cut.

CHARLES WOOLEY: After 'New Moon' there will be at least three more films. It's hard to imagine Robert's celebrity could get any bigger than it is now. Or that he would want it to. Already he concedes fame has restricted his life and turned him into a recluse. And he's smart enough to get the irony. It's almost like the gift of the vampire, really.

ROBERT PATTINSON: That is true. All your power is completely reliant on people walking around on the street, you have to suck their blood, in a lot of ways, like fame.

CHARLES WOOLEY: I trust that's not what the screaming 13-year-old girls actually want you to do Robert?

ROBERT PATTINSON: They ask for that, but I'm sure they're not...

CHARLES WOOLEY: They've asked?

ROBERT PATTINSON: A lot of them have.

CHARLES WOOLEY: Please Robert, bite me on the neck?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Yeah.

CHARLES WOOLEY: That was a rhetorical question.

ROBERT PATTINSON: No, they always ask it literally. I have people come up, literally, and wait there for you to do it. I've had people begging me to kill them, which is like, little girls, which is very unusual.

CHARLES WOOLEY: A nice young man with a paper run whose mum got him some modelling work. Suddenly a superstar, but at heart, more than a little bewildered, as you might expect from an accidental actor. And just finally, your mum, who must be a bit of a stage mum, how does she feel about all this?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Nah - I mean, she's not at all. My parents are the least stagey people, I didn't even do drama in school. I had zero interest in it.

CHARLES WOOLEY: What did they want you to do?

ROBERT PATTINSON: Nothing really. They wanted me to do my homework because I never did it and that's about it. And then they found, OK fine, you can do something without having to do your homework, and as long as you work hard at that, then it's all right.

CHARLES WOOLEY: They're telling me to stop talking to you. Thank-you very much. You're a very human person.

ROBERT PATTINSON: Thanks for that. Thanks a lot.

0 Kommentare:

Search